The Laboratory for Innovation Science at Harvard (LISH) is looking for an energetic data scientist to facilitate research analyzing crowd data and the production of scientific knowledge. The Data Science Research Associate will be a member of the data science team under the supervision of Professor Karim Lakhani (Harvard Business School). LISH is looking for candidates with diverse backgrounds and/or new perspectives.
Primary Duties: The primary responsibilities of the Research Associate will be using data science techniques to support the lab’s social science research and working to field complex data science solutions through prize-based, online contests.
Core Tasks Include:
- Extraction, cleaning, exploration, and analysis of data collected from various sources, including organizational data and aggregated intelligence;
- Model creation and implementation using methods such as NLP, NN, random forest, etc.
- Creation and maintenance of documentation of data files, modeling choices, rationale, and results; Developing quantitative prediction and classification models for social science research;
- Working with the LISH Data Science Team to design and execute data science and AI development contests with partner research organizations.
- BSc/BA in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Physics or relevant analytical field; graduate degree in Data Science or other quantitative field is preferred
- Adept in one or more programming languages (C/C++, Python, Java) Experience querying databases/web APIs and using statistical computer languages: R, Python, etc.
- Experience with statistical analysis, particularly working with 'messy' data -- identifying missing data, matching heterogeneous data sources using fuzzy matching techniques, etc.
- Problem-solving aptitude – identifies/defines problems, seeks root causes, develops and implements various solution strategies
- Strong team player with excellent communication skills
- Interest in building algorithms and analytical models
- Ability to handle multiple projects, stakeholders, and demands
Submit resume and cover letter via Harvard Careers website. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
During the current period of Covid-19 related restrictions, this position may start remotely. All employees must live in Massachusetts, even while working remotely, to be hired on the Harvard University payroll.
We continue to monitor the evolving COVID-19 and lifting of restrictions. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility with our interview process. We will be conducting interviews virtually for selected candidates until further notice.
Culture of Inclusion: The work and well-being of HBS are strengthened profoundly by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and much more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.